Saturday, September 01, 2007

Ok Ok Now I Feel Guilty

One post a year...woohoo! How pathetic is that!
Been working on a remote mine site for a while now. Boy, am I always learning.
This is nothing like working in the metropolitan area.
Let me explain......
On the road in the city, we transport a patient to the closest ( sometimes) hospital. Usually around 20 minutes max. We handover to the hospital staff, restock the ambulance and head back out for our next job.
No such thing in the area I'm in at the moment. The closest hospital is about two and a half hours away!
What does this mean? It means we are with the patient for a lot longer...a LOT longer.
Usually, we keep the patient's onsite...which means we have to follow up through the recuperation stage. Dressings, redressings, medications.
Granted, we now have a helicopter on site. But, the chopper can't fly at night and is not always available.
Not to mention, I HATE flying!

Recently, there was a truck rollover down an embankment. The driver was in the truck and word came down that he was 'not well', whatever that means!

We put the basket (like a scoop stretcher) into the chopper. Unfortunately, the front passenger seat needs to be removed to fit the basket in. I was in the passenger seat, so the basket was put in the back. It was too big.
The pilot said that it was ok as he would just remove the doors. Didn't he realize the panic that caused me! Now I was feeling nauseous.

I look on the dash of the cockpit and saw a sticky label. On it,it read "...deliberate stalling of the engine is prohibited whilst in flight..."

What the!!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure what was worse...the fact that someone would actually turn the engine off whilst flying, or, the fact that it happens so often that they needed to put a reminder sticker on the dash!

Now, I was close to vomiting.

We got to the patient. He was still in the truck (which was on its side) and the cabin was about 3 metres off the ground. I was a 50 ton dump truck.

He complained of pain in his neck and back, so it was decided to take him by helicopter to the hospital. No!!!!!! Why didn't he say everything was ok so I could DRIVE him there.

I actually improved on the trip in. In fact, by the time I got back, I was looking forward to my next trip!

The driver? No injuries. He was back at work within a week. Lucky fella!

I've had a few people ask how to become an Ambulance Paramedic and what qualities they need.

I'll try and answer these questions in my next post, bearing in mind that it is different in different countries/states. I'll do some research.

Until next time.....keep safe.

3 comments:

ReallyEvilCanine said...

Nice to see you back.

Are you sure the placard read "stalling of the engine" and not just "deliberate stalling"? Stalling is a standard flight manoeuvre for fixed wing (airplane) and rotary wing (helicopter) aircraft. All pilots are required to learn how to stall an aircraft (take it to the point where it loses lift) but some aircraft are unable to do this safely.

Adrian said...

Hi reallyevilcanine and thanks

I think you are right, I think it said "deliberate"

Unfortunately my mind went something like this

....stall....engine...flight....BAD!!!!!!!!!!

Take care

Adrian

shelbi said...

hi there adrian :) if you ever come back to this blog would you mind emailing or contacting me? my husband has decided just recently to become a paramedic and i would love to get more info on this career choice for our family and all that it involves. we have 4 kids, and i am just wondering what it will be like with him working the crazy nights/weekends and such :)

thanks for any input that you have!